17 March 2019

The wave


I see a wave in the distance.

It peaks from the horizon. Touching the blue sky that’s littered with clouds.

I sit on the beach.

small waves slowly rise and crash, creating the iconic orchestra of calming, repetitive sound.

The wave grows closer.

I look around. The sun is standing proudly among the heavens. She feeds heat that glides down my face; her warm appearance making the sand deep and comforting.

The wave is here.

Cold.

Cold tongues of water glide up my legs; shattering the fragile peace. The wave lumbers above, blocking the air and casting shadows that leak over me. The titan of blue slams into the shore, and the tendrils grab me, dragging me down into the deep blue. My body pathetically swings with the uncontrollable force of the depths.

I scream, I beg, but all that I offer are bubbles that mockingly rise to the surface. My breath runs short and torrents of water fill my lungs as I float deeper and deeper into the great unknown.

I’m lying on the beach.

My body shivers, devoid of heat; the cold gripping and tearing at my insides. I look over.

I see a wave in the distance.

The sky and sun have been locked behind a prison of dark grey dust. The wave threatens me, taunting and aware of its force. My body fights to stand, my limbs weak and unstable.

The wave grows closer.

My feet dig into the wet sand and I focus on the wave.

The wave is here.

It towers over me with no light left to cast a shadow. It rises as a mountain.

And I conjure flames to meet it.

The roar of fire fills the empty air. Sparks and vines of pure heat; a duet, dancing to the sound of my voice. The wave bleeds wisp’ of steam that part the clouds and the electricity stabs through the giant’s body.

The remains of the beast drift back into the great beyond. The sand is dry and warm; the sun, free, smiles down at the earth. I steady my breathing, I lock my body and I concentrate on the horizon.

I see a wave in the distance.
- Alex

1 comment:

Happy place

The swishing, Swaying, Towering, Trees. The short leafy shrubs, In shades of greens. From flowers, Short lived, With colour...