2 March 2019

Dare to Dream



a low drone buzzes in the early hours of a new day 
but the flitting about of tired, endlessly working creatures has finally stopped
no longer a lively jingle of life
but rather a metallic hum of machines whirring into the night
the moon glances down with its watchful eyes, lighting up the darkness

below, one of them nestles into bed
'protected' by cloth
unknowing of what's to come.

'safe'.

...

The deep feeling of heaviness finally pushes me under and I feel my eyelids slowly drop until the darkness engulfs me.

Relief. Finally.

...

a familiar wonderland stimulates a lone wanderer
the dark forest hugs them tightly;
a bug; a mere speck in the endless utopia stretching out before her eyes

she moves her sluggish body forwards trudging on down the trodden forest path, brown mud swirling in between her toes with each lazy step she takes.

the kind comfort of the forests familiarity makes her feel safe 
shes been here many times before
her home.

it reminds her of honey
the breeze flowing through her hair
she can almost taste its sweet remnants on her tongue

she lets her eyes explore the gentle, dense forest she’s come to know 

greeted by delicate loving yellows, cooing cool blues, flourishing reds among their friendly, homely greens - all a wondrous collage of home

it holds her tight and safe.

her paradise

as she fumbles down the aging path, the sun shines on her face and makes her feel like honey; golden and warm

the glorious heavens peep through the vast canopies many lengths above her 

she feels happiness as she walks - the sort only others can dream of, spending their entire lives desperately searching for it and never coming close.

but what is an ecstatic happiness can become a terrifying nightmare in the flash of a second.

as she listens to the caressing sound of birds singing their cheerful melodies they begin to morph into something new.

swirling, growing into harsher, angrier songs

darker and darker, no longer melodies but an obnoxious piercing trill

AH, AH, AH

'what the hell?'

AH, AH, AH, RAHH

she feels her feet fall to the wet forest floor as their songs, once akin to a soothing lullaby, screech louder and louder, higher and higher and make her brain feel as if it may explode

louder,

louder,

louder,

she clutches her head in pain; her ears crying at the clashing screams

'STOP IT!'

AH, AH, AH, A-

'I SAID STOP IT!'

the cries grow angrier

AH, AH, AH, AH, AH, AH, AHHH-

it's as if they are intent on killing

AH, AH, AH, AH, AH, AHH, AH, AHHHAHH

'SHUT THE HELL UP!'

AH, AH, AH, AH, HA, HAH, AH

she manages to squawk out a cry

AH, AHAHAH, AHHAHAHHAHHAHA

but all other sound is muffled by the clashes of anger; a kettle about to spill – pressure rising

'WHY ARE YOU LAUGHING AT ME?'

AHAHAHAHAH, HAHAH, HAHAH, HAHAH

she tries to lifts her head from the earthy, damp floor, prying her eyes open with as much force as she can muster.
it’s like a thousand bricks have been placed on her chest but the screams – well the screams don’t care

her breath catches in her throat as she jumps up to find a way out but is taken aback by the concrete wall of sound

her ears leak in blazing agony; red, hot liquid pouring out from inside

AHHA, HAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHA, HAHAHA, AHAHAH

all that fills her head are yells

stop it.

HAHAHA, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

stop.

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

salty tears dribble down her cheek

HAHAHHHHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHA

stop.

HAHAHHHHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHA

please.

...

I thrash my legs in an effort to kick the covers off me and sit up at a lightning pace, my head throbbing from the rush of blood.

I force breath down my tight throat. My chest feels like a great weights been lifted.a

What the hell.

What the actual fricking hell was that?

I look around my room with its pink painted walls – mum and I really need to repaint them, geez.

But everything looks the same. Normal.

Except… I don’t feel normal.

That felt so… so real.

BZZ! BZZ!

My thoughts are interrupted by the familiar chime of my phone, illuminating my room with its intrusive blue light, projecting its hologram from my desk in the corner.

I look at my grey, industrial-looking alarm clock next to my bed.

3:59

I fumble for my glasses in the pitch black.

A little dark ball plants itself in my throat.

I grasp for my phone and fumble hastily pressing the worn on button. A familiar name flashes across the screen

Missed call from Dad – no message left

Dad?


- charlie.

1 comment:

Happy place

The swishing, Swaying, Towering, Trees. The short leafy shrubs, In shades of greens. From flowers, Short lived, With colour...