18 June 2019

The Pirate's Lament

One fateful, hateful summer night 
I crept into a bar 
To wash away my sins, did I 
Though I did not get far 
  
A weathered man approached me 
His eyes a raging sea 
They crashed and seethed with deep intent 
A midnight mystery 
  
"I once was young" he, weary, slurred 
Over his empty glass 
What followed was a warning 
A tale from his past 
  
Once there was a bright young man 
Who joined a bright young crew 
And bright young hands would build a ship 
That sailed the ocean blue 
  
They travelled seas a-seven 
Stole all they could dream of 
But the ocean was a hustler 
And they were fools who fell in love 
  
They pillaged, raped, they stole, they slashed 
Played hooky with the gallows 
But little did they know  
What their mischief would foreshadow 
  
One day they found a parchment scroll 
Just west of brimstone and fire 
"Follow the path marked on this map 
To find what you desire" 
  
"Riches, gold!" a boatswain cheered 
"And women beyond compare!" 
"I bet," the gunner interjects,  
"Be a pretty penny there." 
  
"It's settled!" Captain bellowed out 
The men readied the sails 
With lightened hearts and greedy eyes 
The crew began their trail 
  
For forty days and forty nights 
These boys would seek their gold 
Though six weeks seems much longer  
With no water, food or coal 
  
Through bitter storms that thrash the boat 
its punches crashing waves 
To burning days with nary wind 
That dragged along for days 
  
Finally, they saw their end 
And hidden in the rain 
The cave that hid their treasure chest 
Almost seemed arcane 
  
Not long post entering the mouth 
did thickened fog roll in 
The walls and water disappeared 
As did the pirate's gin 
  
Despite this all, the ship sailed on 
It's pace a sluggish crawl 
And quiet pirates now could hear 
An echo from the walls 
  
"Come, weary sailor, forget what you owe 
You are too handsome to look so alone 
Save me, my darling, take me from the stone 
I'm Juliet and you're my Romeo." 
  
The voices, like honey, sweet and rich 
Drowned the pirate's ears 
It trickled to the brains and hearts 
And painted over fears 
  
In the fog lay silhouettes  
Sitting upon rocks 
Creatures of beauty only known 
By shanties sung on the docks 
  
Deafened by the Mermaid's song 
And blinded by the mist 
They didnt feel their sinking ship 
Too lustful for a kiss 
  
However, there was a single man 
Who shouted in surprise 
"Stop! What are you doing, men?!" 
Yelled the man with cobalt eyes 
  
"Hush now, my sailor, be one with the sea 
I have been waiting for eternity 
Rest in my arms and you'll surely find peace 
For you are Adam, and I am your Eve." 
  
Now at this point had many men  
dived their ways to hell 
Remaining were a sharper bunch 
Though they remained unwell 
  
Drunken fools leaned off the sides 
Their fingers grazing sea 
The Siren's fingers grasped the heads  
Of victims soon-to-be 
  
And with a kiss that hid sharp teeth 
The men's eyes turned to white 
These monsters sucked the souls of those 
Who sailed in the night 
  
Now alone, the cobalt man 
Kneeled on his sunken ship 
Surrounded by the women who 
Would take him down with it 
  
And finally, the man would raise 
His scathing ocean eyes 
And refuse a kiss from angels 
Who had bid their wings goodbye 
  
"But how did you escape?" I asked 
At the edge of my seat 
The cobalt man just looked through me  
For a while, he did not speak
  
He threw some coins and left the bar 
I followed him in kind 
We made our way down to the beach 
The stars, oh how they shined 
  
"For listening to my story, 
The truth I now will tell 
I once was a young sailor 
And now I'm damned to hell. 
  
They turned me to an angel 
And then tore off my wings 
I live now in these waters 
Where men will hear me sing. 
  
My husband lived in Blackwall 
Was killed for loving men 
And now I haunt the ocean 
To enact my revenge. 
  
I hope you will forgive me 
I know that you will not 
But since you've heard my story 
It is here you will rot." 

- Aria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy place

The swishing, Swaying, Towering, Trees. The short leafy shrubs, In shades of greens. From flowers, Short lived, With colour...